Shoes do a lot more than protecting the feet, as they help make folks look great. Children are not left out, as you can find various good-looking shoes for your kids. Nevertheless, finding a shoe that fits a child with wide feet seems like a daunting task.
Does your child have wide feet? How to tell? Simply ask your child if his/her feet feel cased-in in every pair of shoes or regular size shoes are challenging to fit in? If the answer is yes, then measure your child’s both feet by a measuring tape at the ball-of-the-foot. And compare with the regular size shoes he/she wear daily that feels cased-in, you’ll find an idea.
However, this review holds the best children’s shoes for wide feet with helpful tips. Keep reading
Tip: Read about Kids Shoe Sizing Guide with Conversion Chart before choosing!
Importance of Children’s Shoes Fitting Properly
There are a few considerations in getting shoes for kids with wide feet.
- If you end up buying footwear that doesn’t fit, the child’s feet will face some severe pain.
- Tight shoes can also lead to serious foot problems like bunions, corns, and ingrown nails.
- Shoes that fit correctly allow easy use
- If your child’s shoes fit right, there is a healthy development for their feet
Different types of Kids Shoe with Wide Feet
Shoes come in various types, but here are the common type for kids with wide feet.
- Athletic Shoes – running shoes, climbing shoes, and sneakers
- Boots – Timberland, Uggs, Cowboy
- Beach shoes
- Pumps and Ballet shoes
How Quickly Do Children’s Feet Grow?
The feet of children grow differently, but you should know these:
- The child’s age says more on the feet’s growth
- From age 1 to 3, kids have their feet growing up to ¾ inch every year
- On average, kids within ages 6 – 10 have their feet growing less than ½ each year
- Kids above the age of 10 reportedly have a 2% increase, while boys can have up to a 10% increase
- Within each year, kids can get 2 to 3 pairs due to their growing feet
Features of a Shoe for Children with Wide Feet?
Interestingly, you can find many shoe brands with kid’s shoes for wide feet. Nevertheless, some features of shoes that come designed for kids with wide feet include:
- Increased Comfort – the comfort kids with wide feet, gets from the right shoes is second to none. Thus, they can wear their shoes for a long while without feeling any sharp pain.
- Ease of Use – Ever noticed how difficult it is to wrangle a child’s foot through some shoes? Well, you can now wear your kids their shoes with much ease, and they can even wear these shoes without much assistance.
- Full Protection – They have excellent features that protect that child’s feet. Such shoes ensure that kids don’t slip and fall as they walk, climb, and run.
- Excellent Adjustability – Whether Velcro-strapped shoes or those with laces, you would find those for wide feet easy to adjust. The excellent adjustability can ensure that the child’s feet remain comfy, even when their feet grow wider.
- Additional Depth – Footwear that comes specially constructed for children with wide feet has extra depth and would ensure your child’s feet are free from blisters.
What are the Best Children Shoes for Wide Feet? Top 5 Reviewed
Most kids with wide feet do complain of their shoes getting too tight. Hence, normal shoe sizes may not be suitable. Perhaps, you should get footwear that comes with stylish designs and ensures your kids remain comfortable all through. Here are some options that you can consider
1. New Balance Kids’ 680 V6: Overall best kids shoes for wide feet
The superior quality material of this footwear is outstanding. It comes constructed with enough space to fit the child’s wide feet. The shoe has rubber soles for excellent traction, and the hook and loop closure increases its adjustability.
Size Available: For 0-12 Years Old
- Soft Underfoot Cushioning and ABZORB midsole
- Rubber soles
- Excellent paddings
- Superior-quality material
- No notable cons found
What Users Say About It
“Fits High Instep and Wide Feet. My 2 year old son has an extremely high instep along with wide feet, New Balance is great.”
“New Balance are the only shoes for my wide footed kids! I have 2 kids with wide feet and New Balance shoes have a wide selection of wide shoes”
“Great for Wider Toddler Feet. Finally, an athletic shoe that fits well on my 3.5 yr. old’s wide feet”
2. Sperry Halyard Boat Shoe: Toddler Shoes for Wide Feet
Little kids are hyperactive, and they need shoes that keep them stable. Thus, this footwear comes with an excellent rubber sole. It comes constructed with 100% textile material and has an upper canvas design.
Size Available: For 0-8 Years Old
- Stylish design
- Easy hook and loop closure
- Flexible sole
- Great comfort, 100% fabric
- Bit short straps
What Users Say About It
“Cute shoes, my almost 2 year old loves them, and they fit his wide feet”
“My son has enormously wide feet and it’s really hard to find shoes that we can shove his feet into. These are great”
“My son is 18 months old and has wide feet like his dad. It is nearly impossible to find reasonably priced everyday shoes for a toddler than come in a wide size. These are perfect!”
This footwear for kids comes constructed with leather and synthetic materials. They are comfy, with sufficient space around the toes. Hence, children having wide feet can wear this shoe and stay relaxed all day long.
Size Available: For 4-12 Years old
- Comfy material
- Top-quality cushion pads
- Excellent traction
- Injection EVA midsole
- It may seem too wide for some kids
- Lace closure
What Users Say About It
“This was my second pair of the 680v5 by New Balance. Much better with my wide feet”
“My son have a wide feet and these shoe feel more comfortable according to him.”
The premium and flexible leather exterior makes it one of the best choices for kids with wide feet. It can handle the lightweight jogging for the little ones, and the laces come out to be elastic. The foam footbed also cushions the child’s feet.
- Excellent foam footbeds
- Anti-sink feature
- Hook and Loop closure
- Machine washable
- The shoe may seem tight for kids with extra wide feet
What Users Say About It
“Super cute, stylish, match everything, wide shoes.”
“Perfect for my son’s abnormally large wide feet”
How does the shoe size affect its comfort levels?
The size of the shoe determines its comfort levels. The shoe should come in the right size that is pretty spacious for accommodating the child’s feet. Since the footwear comes with sufficient space and a wide toe box, their toes don’t get squished.
How do shoes protect the child’s feet?
Without a doubt, you would often find the younger children staying active all day long. So, their shoes need the right support features that would keep them stable as they move. The best shoes for kids with wide feet can ensure that kids don’t slip and fall as they walk, climb, and run.
Why do I face some trouble fitting my child’s shoes?
Perhaps, you’ve got the wrong size, as they are shoes with sufficient space for kids with wide feet. In fact, the best hoes for kids with wide feet can open up without any hassles.
How can I make my kids shoes wider?
In general, You can use shoe ”stretch sprays and liquids” or ”Thick socks and a blow dryer” method at home to make your kids shoe wider. If you find it difficult, no worries; cobblers provide stretching services.
How much bigger should you buy toddler shoes?
In general, You can buy a toddler shoes with a thumb’s width (about half an inch) space between his/her toe and the tip of the shoe. Thats the optimal spacing, not snug. If the shoe fits, get that size, just don’t be tempted to go a little larger to try to get a few extra months of wear out of it.
How many pairs of shoes should a toddler have?
According to webmd, “You can have one or maybe two pairs of shoes for your toddler, a play shoe like a sneaker and possibly a dress-up shoe.”
How often should I measure my child’s foot?
Generally, Every 2 to 3 month you should measure your child foot. ”A typical toddler will need a new pair of shoes every two to three months until they’re two and a half; after that their rate of growth slows down a little (Wenger et al, 1983)”
Kiddies footwear comes in a variety of styles and sizes, as they keep your little ones stylish. Do you find it tasking to pick a shoe that fits your child’s wide feet? You can check this review for the best children’s shoes for wide feet.